Broken Centerboard Help!

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Rick

Re: Broken Centerboard Help!

Post by Rick »

Hi all,
Just got off the phone with Ron regarding my centerboard size.
My hull is #373 and after removing the broken centerboard head out of the trunk it looks like the MKI.
I guess Tony changed the size on my boat. Ron said Tony would change things from boat to boat.
"Chesapeake light craft" said I could expect the board around April 15th.
Thought I had the longer board and asked for one to be made.
Hope I got to them in time.
If not, I hope somebody out there needs the longer board.

Rick
Ron

Post by Ron »

In an effort to figure out which 28's have the short board vs. the long one, could one of the earlier boat owners measure his centerboard trunk. I was led to believe that the trunk was also lengthened a drop when Tony made the switch to the longer board. The boat is up on the lift now so I'll measure mine in the next 48 hours and post the length here, along with the position of the pivot / cranking bolt. Hull 359 (my boat) supposedly has one of the first longer boards. I'm a little surprised that 373 appears to have a shorter one, but Tony did frequently switch things around. In theory, the shorter board draws around 4 1/2 feet and the longer one a little over 5.

Rick believes that the two boards are also slightly different at the top, where they rotate. That sounds strange, so maybe we can figure out if that's true when we get some measurements. CLC is supposedly going to make both boards. They monitor this forum so maybe they can add some comments on this topic.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Post by Gene »

My "upper case" (mast support back) is about 5-01, total length at the cabin sole about 6-01 if that helps...
Plash Island, AL
USA
wooden

Post by wooden »

My hull # is 340, so I expect that I have the shorter board. I am not sure it will be very easy for me to find out, unless there is someway to determine that without taking the boat out of the water. I am hoping to find someone with a lift by the time I am ready to replace the board because I suspect it would not be possible to do that on the trailer. If I have to, I will take it to a marina and have it lifted and remove what is left of the centerboard.

I emailed CLC provided on this site, but have not heard back. I will call them next week and see if I can make contact. Thanks for the information.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Post by Gene »

wooden wrote:My hull # is 340, so I expect that I have the shorter board. I am not sure it will be very easy for me to find out, unless there is someway to determine that without taking the boat out of the water. I am hoping to find someone with a lift by the time I am ready to replace the board because I suspect it would not be possible to do that on the trailer. If I have to, I will take it to a marina and have it lifted and remove what is left of the centerboard.

I emailed CLC provided on this site, but have not heard back. I will call them next week and see if I can make contact. Thanks for the information.
I raised my boat from the trailer jacking up from the bottom of the "U" bunks in order to paint the bottom. I don't know for sure, but I do believe that this would be high enough to both remove the remnants of your old board and install a new one... Right now I'm actually sailing without a board... my biggest issue is getting into a tight 12' slip with a crosswind. So far I'm managing... Other than that its been tolerable... so far...
Plash Island, AL
USA
wooden

Post by wooden »

Gene,

Thanks for the response. I can see the possibility of putting the boat up on jacks and replace the centerboard.

I am interested in your situation. You indicated that you hoped to have a new centerboard by last December. Is it taking this long for CLC to fabricate a new board for you, or is there something else going on?

I am also comforted by your comment that sailing without the centerboard is no big deal. I was planning a sailing trip to the Dry Tortuga in a couple of weeks, and my wife was not anxious to travel that far from civilization with a "broken boat". The fact that I really did not know when the centerboard broke made me feel that it might be insignificant in relationship to the safety and stability of the boat. I can attest to the usefulness of the centerboard in tight turns, and perhaps some help to limit yaw in strong winds abeam. Other than that, I am not sure it does much good.

I plan on giving CLC a call this week, and I will report what I find out.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Post by Gene »

I guess my circumstances are a bit unique... I broke my board due to a "short mooring" on Cape Cod in 2008. I've had a "change of life" and now find myself on the Gulf Coast in 2013. I was just contacted within the last 2 weeks about a new board. I probably will get one shortly.... sort of. It is tax season... and funds are a bit tight. I'm also a bit intimidated about the install process... but probably will go forward at some point...
Plash Island, AL
USA
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gene wrote:I guess my circumstances are a bit unique... I broke my board due to a "short mooring" on Cape Cod in 2008. I've had a "change of life" and now find myself on the Gulf Coast in 2013. I was just contacted within the last 2 weeks about a new board. I probably will get one shortly.... sort of. It is tax season... and funds are a bit tight. I'm also a bit intimidated about the install process... but probably will go forward at some point...
They've been a little slow to produce it but I do believe they're all set to deliver now...
Plash Island, AL
USA