Broken Centerboard Help!

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Keith

Broken Centerboard Help!

Post by Keith »

Re: Broken Centreboard on Telstar 28

I headed out at dawn today to sail from Crystal Springs to Tarpon Springs. We turned around in adverse winds and discovered that the Centreboard on hull #348 has sheared off at the hull. AccordIng to the depth guage we were in water as shallow as 8 feet. I must have hit bottom without noticing it. We were sailing at 8 knots with a reef.

Has anyone replaced a Telstar 28 Centreboard? My centreboard case is 6 ft. so my centre board should be 5 feet. I recall something about the Telstar Centreboard being almost the same as Gemini's. The Tri is a 2007 model.

I hope that I can sail/motor the 85 nm to Tarpon Springs in one day. I intend to find a marina with a lift and get the boat out of the water and the centerboard replaced some where along the west coast of Florida.

We've taken Star Hunter from the West Coast of Canada to Seattle, trailered it to South Dakota and motored down the Missouri and Mississippi rivers to Alabama and sailed across to Florida. The rest of the trip is now on indefinite hold.

I just have an iPad on the boat, and Internet access is intermittent. If you have helpful suggestions please reply directly as I can often receive emails, but can only send replies when in range and moored.[/b] KeithMWebb@gmail.com.

I have a Globalstar Satellite phone but it also works intermittently.

Thank-you, Keith Webb, Banff, Alberta, Canada