Amas folding problem

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Ron

Amas folding problem

Post by Ron »

It's hard to tell whats wrong without seeing it. Look for rubs on the fiberglass moving parts whcih could indicate where it's having problems and that nothing has started to loosen up. Make sure that both clutches in the storage lockers are released and that the two lines can feed easily.

Also, I'd lubricate the trampoline slides/tracks and the 4 hinge pins. You'd be surprised how easily sticking slides can interfere with folding and/or unfolding the amas. I tend to use McLube SailKote for this, but there are other lubricants which can work. I lube the track every 6 weeks or so. I can feel the increase in friction at about that point.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Re: Amas folding problem

Post by Gene »

I see that "Liquid Wrench" is now marketing a "dry lubricant" which is aimed at the RV w/ sliders crowd. I have no personal experience how effective it is...
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm talking about a waterproof dry PTFE type of lubricant. Sailkote is one brand, but there are others. It's called "dry" because the liquid evaporates and leaves the PTFE on the parts. I've also used lubes with teflon in the tube or can - like StarBrite Zipper and Snap lube. They' work OK but can attract and hold dust or dirt.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Post by Gene »

McLube is so expensive now... I'm not ready to replace it in areas that contact sails, etc., but it sure would be nice to have a decent substitute for non critical areas, e.g. the tramp slides, rudder pulleys, etc. Something like $6 vs. $18...
Plash Island, AL
USA