engine support box problem

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have the 50 hp honda. The vertical stainless steel guide post that is fixed to the hull and limits the motion of the fiberglass support box has been severely rubbing the bottom starboard side of the box. Basically as the box is raised from the lowest position the lower end of the rod and attached bracket reams out the fiberglass. Does anyone know if the box is originally flat on the side , or is there a groove to partially accommodate the rod? I can repair the fiberglass but I'd like to apply a protective surface perhaps a thin layer of stainless steel -any other ideas?

Mark
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

The box has a definite notch in the aft starboard corner and the support post passes through it. There's a heavy "L" piece of stainless bolted to the outside of the notch, held by 12 bolts and nuts, and the post passes in between both. 3 photo's below, but I can take a better shot when I lower the box in a day or two. I'd rather not dunk the 20hp Honda into the water. First photo is from port side, 2nd from top, 3rd starboard.

The 50hp motor is substantially heavier. That could have twisted some stuff around so the the box contacts the post?

P1180001.JPG (49.55 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Post by Ron »

This photo is with the box down. The stainless shaft runs thru the area created by the notch and stainless "L" plate.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Ron

The notch at the top is OK, the bottom is worn, basically there is now another notch created by the stainless guide bar. I'm not sure if in the worn area the box was shaped even more to accommodate the rod. This weekend I plan on undoing the brackets on the main hull so I can get at the area and take a picture- as far as I can see, the rod acts as a guide and does not support the engine when the control line is engaged.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ron

I took the rod and and lower bracket off. The rear of the box is plywood which is glassed in. On the starboard side of the plywood there is a gap of about 1/4 inch followed by a very thin piece of fiberglass may be 1/8 inch. The gap runs the whole length of the side of the plywood. The pressure of the end of the rod on this region cracked the thin fiberglass and then pushed it into the gap. Filling the void with epoxy and embedding a thin stainless steel sheet should work or perhaps even just marine-tex since the thin fiberglass held up for a few years.

If anyone has a "sticky box" I'd check to see if there is any visible damage. I took a picture but left the camera on the boat!

Mark