Walkway Front Mount Damage

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
wingman

Post by wingman »

My starboard walkway, the long, narrow walk that is vertical when the amas are in and horizontal when the amas are out, was starting to separate at the top two bolts. I have a picture, but at 400 KB the forum says it is too big.

Anyway, the tear is across the top of the two bolts. the bottom bolts were OK. I think it actually started when I motored into/out of the Severn River last year to watch the Blue Angels. Many large power boats were racing in and out all around and Bay Wings experienced a lot of torque across its three hulls. I have never, in my many years of sailing, seen such confused and turbulent seas coming from all sides, so I suspect that it was not a load condition never imagined by Tony.

At first, I was planning to reglass the area, but having never done such an operation, I decided instead to install a stainless steel backing plate, which works beautifully and was easy to install. It did cost $52, mostly for the minimum labor charge of $45. it is about 30% larger around three sides than the original mounting plate. there is no room for an extension at the top. I will eventually fill the area of the tear, also.

Ever since that Blue Angel trip, I have had to hand-raise my walkway as I bring in the amas. It is easy to do, and the amas come in much easier than they did before when the "system" mechanically raised them. They had been rubbing for a long time, I just had not noticed!

I did discover a very interesting fact about the walkway. If you have ever looked closely, you will notice that it is a square tube,which gives it its strength. However, the tube is open at the forward end. It is like a big scoop whenever water splashes up through the ama's inside opening. As I found this water when at the dock, I suspect that once in, it rarely drains, thus adding unneeded weight when racing. Two small drain holes, one aft and one in the middle, seems to work well. The port walkway also had significant water. You may want to check yours for water. Of course, you could get the crew to crowd the bow to see if you can force it down enough to drain! Not sure why Tony left it open at the front, and not the back.

John
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

As a side note, I found that the Starlings like to build nests in those square tubes (and the end of the boom). I put a sponge in the end to keep them out, which might help keep the water out. I didn't realize that it was closed on the back end. I'll have to check for water.