No Coolant Water Out

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
wingman

No Coolant Water Out

Post by wingman »

I try to sail during the winter, but this one has been tough. We finally got rid of the snow and ice in the creek and now my engine will not pee!

According to the local Annapolis Honda shop, Fawcett's, the water pump impeller should be replaced either every year or every two years, depending on which salesman I asked. They would not let me talk to their actual Honda repairman as he was too busy. Replacing it does not sound easy, especially as the boat is in the water. I will have to place my dinghy under the outboard. Although I am only 3.5 years into my 5-year warranty, they claim that this is a not covered under warranty.

I have ordered the maintenance manual, which at $57 including shipping is a lot cheaper than $150/hour for a at-the-boat call by the mechanic.

Has anyone done this work themselves and, if so, do you have any helpful hints or warnings? This is a 20-hp engine.

I am also interested if anyone has checked the valves, timing belt, etc. all the items on the checklist that recommend that a mechanic perform.

John
Ron

No Coolant Water Out

Post by Ron »

John -

I did mine about a month ago when it stopped peeing as well. It's hard to figure out what's causing the problem. It does NOT have to be the water pump. Try flushing it out with a garden hose using the hose adapter screwed into the port side of the motor. If that does not produce a good stream then I'd look elsewhere. But note that you should change the impeller as well. At 3 1/2 years it's time to do it. Get the kit because you'll damage gaskets. You've got to drop the lower unit to get at it, but you do NOT have to remove the prop and prop shaft as per the manual. I didn't.

By the way, my problem was not the impeller. There must have been some debris lodged in the upper area of the motor. I blew out the rubber tube that connects the pee hole to the motor(with compressed air) which helped somewhat, and then popped the thermostat housing and thermostat (port side) to get the largest opening possible and then used the garden hose adapter to really flush it out. It's the biggest "hole" in the cooling system and most debris will get tossed out that way. You may as well check the thermostat at that point (drop it in boiling water).

None of the above would be covered by the warrany. They are all maintenance items.

By the way - is it overheating (warning light on remote shifter) or just a blocked pee hole? That could make a big difference as well. Mine was just blocked with ????? Also - I would occasionally (twice a year?) flush it out with something like salt away. The Chesapeake is on the salty side. And it's best to flush it out (gardern hose) as often as you can with fresh water.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
wingman

No Coolant Water Out

Post by wingman »

The guys at Fawcett's suggested running monofilament line up the out hole as it sometimes get clogged. I rummaged around my storage room to find an old tackle box that I was sure was still there. Yep, I had a spool of line and, after reaming the hole out and feeling some initial restriction, the engine works fine!

I do want to get the earmuffs to do a fresh water purge, but the water is off at the dock, so it may have to wait until warmer weather.

No, I did not overheat. I was just checking that the engine still worked during the freeze, immediately saw that no water came out, and shut her down.

Come Spring, I will do the maintenance, but at least I can go sailing if it warms up next weekend!

John
vancouver

No Coolant Water Out

Post by vancouver »

The telltale frequently blocks on mine. There is a tee in the cooling line that runs the telltale. Take the line off the tee and blow it clear. That may be your only problem.
wingman

No Coolant Water Out

Post by wingman »

Well, I replaced the impeller today and it was an easy job, though not without some head scratching normal for a first time. I did have one arm on the old impeller torn. particles from it may have been what jammed the output.

Buy the maintenance manual and the impeller kit and save some money!

John