Water in the link shelf

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
andrewm

Water in the link shelf

Post by andrewm »

So here’s an odd defect. I had the boat on the trailer for a couple of months this summer, and when checking it out I shook the link shelf (at least I think that’s what it’s called, i.e. the walkway that runs alongside the full length of the cabin) and it was full of water!
The photo shows the water running out as I held it up. Along the top you can probably make out that the fiberglass along the edge is delaminated, and when it was on the trailer the rainwater was leaking in through this edge. My solution is to drill a hole in the bottom, so if any water gets in at least it can drain out.
I wondering about fixing the delaminated edge with epoxy, but don’t see how I would get this shelf off the hull.
Has anyone else had this, and any idea how to take the shelf off (while the boat’s in the water).

Thanks,
Andrewm

WalkwayLeak.jpg (249.95 KiB) Viewed 40 times

Ron

Water in the link shelf

Post by Ron »

The link shelf is not supposed to manually lift up with the ama's in - there's a linkage that raises it when the ama's come out. That's the way mine works. If the harware pulled out of the shelf, that could be the way the water got in there. Did this happen on both sides?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
andrewm

Water in the link shelf

Post by andrewm »

It has only happened on the starboard side, and otherwise is operating OK - the boat is back in the water and all the water has drained out.
Andrewm
Dan

Water in the link shelf

Post by Dan »

The link shelf is pretty easy to remove. It is held on by two hinge pins. Remove the cotter pins for them, and you can lift it off the boat.
seicam

Water in the link shelf

Post by seicam »

I had the same thing, i.e. water in the shelf, not the delamination. THe water gets there through an opening in front of the shelf. This is expected. There should be adrain hole at the end of hte shelf, and if you did not have one it is fine to drill one.

HTH,
Maciek