Flushing the Honda 20

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
andrewm

Flushing the Honda 20

Post by andrewm »

I bought the garden hose adapter for the Honda 20, but when I use it I barely get a dribble coming out of the bottom. The owner's manual gives little information but it does have a diagram indicating the water should be spurting out. I checked with a service engineer who found the same thing and didn't know of anything else that could be done. Am I not doing something correctly? The unit is 2 years old and has been used in salt water.
Andrewm
Ron

Flushing the Honda 20

Post by Ron »

Thew water ear-muffs could be the better way of doing it - especially if you want to run the motor. The garden hose adapter method will probably wear out the impeller if the motor is running. But the garden hose should be able to produce a decent flow from the piss hole near the top of the motor as well as pour out of the bottom. is your water pressure decent? I run about 80 psi up in NJ and maybe 50 down here in FL. Noticeable difference in the amount of water coming out. If you're well below 50 that could lower it even more. If the pressure is decent, give Honda a call - you should be covered by the warranty. They tacked on another 3 years about 3 years ago.

One quick thing - see if you can look inside the hole that the adapter screws into. Maybe stick a soft wire in there. Bugs love to climb into these small holes and build nests or whatever.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
seicam

Flushing the Honda 20

Post by seicam »

I have used one of those: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10439. Use the round one, it works very well on the Honda 20. I use it in combination with winterizing kit: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=10996

I have just went through the engine winterizing 2 weeks ago. The key is to flush the engine while it is running and let it run for 10-15 minutes. This will ensure that thermostat will open and you will get salt water out of the entire cooling system. Once the engine is warmed up and flushed, I put the antifreeze in the winterizing container and connect it to the earmuffs. Then let the engine run until you can see antifreeze spitting out of the output hole.

While the engine is warm it's also a good time to change oil :-)

HTH,
Maciek
Gene

Re: Flushing the Honda 20

Post by Gene »

FYI, the Honda 20 should NOT be running while using the honda hose fitting... the Honda 50 SHOULD be running...
Plash Island, AL
USA
Mark

Post by Mark »

If the boat is on the trailer, a large trash bin full of water works well, at least with the 50. I don't have enough pressure for the hose adapter, and the ear muffs only seal well enough if I tape them on. I would recommend draining the carburetors for the winter.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Draining the carbs is a MUST with ethanol fuel, "running 'til empty is NOT an option, DAMHIK... I've also had better luck flushing with the muffs that send water into both muffs.
Plash Island, AL
USA