Gasoline smell

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Cathyalan

Gasoline smell

Post by Cathyalan »

We have noticed a gasoline smell in the cabin while sailing...not under power...and especially in rough water.

Any ideas?

Alan/Cathy
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Gasoline smell

Post by Dan »

IT is probably spilled gasoline from the vents on the fuel tanks in the rudder stock locker. If you don't close the fuel tank vents, in rough seas they can spill gasoline. The gasoline smell then makes it way via the cockpit lockers/coamings which are connected to the cabin and only sealed by a cosmetic cover panel. Most of the wiring passes through these panels, as does the propane line for the stove. I would recommend using expanding foam and fiberglass to seal the small passages in the outboard aft corners of the galley and nav station.
Cathyalan

Gasoline smell

Post by Cathyalan »

That was my assumption, thank you.
I have always been uncomfortable with closing vent valves on gasoline tanks, even for my lawnmower in the garage. Especially if the tanks are in an environment that is moving, tossing to and fro. I store 2 extra 3 gallon tanks in the starboard ama with vents barely open and, when appropriate, open the hatch so the ama can "air". Am I overly concerned? I am not a power boater so gasoline/boating is not something I am familiar with. I have never had a sailboat with a motor before.
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Gasoline smell

Post by Dan »

There really isn't a problem with closing the vents. You should be doing so whenever the gasoline tanks are not in use. If you store gasoline tanks in the amas, the vents on them should be tightly closed or you can get gasoline fumes in the amas, and that could lead to an explosion hazard. Granted, there aren't any ignition sources in an ama, but still, preventing such a fume build up is probably a good idea.

The vents on all fuel tanks/jerry cans should be tightly closed unless the fuel tank/jerry can in question is actually being used. This is a safety issue. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air and as such can collect in the amas or other enclosed spaces and can create an explosion hazard.
Cathyalan

Gasoline smell

Post by Cathyalan »

Thank you.
I guess I was concerned about some sort of pressure build up in a tightly sealed gasoline container. That concern related to a heated environment but I guess the ama and even the gasoline/rudder compartment on the Telstar really doesn't heat up even on a hot sun day. We all have fears...real or imagined :?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313