Limited steering with the rudder up

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

The water is very shallow (2 feet ) where we keep our boat, which was one of the reasons I bought a multi hull. With that shallow water we need to have the center board and rudder up when we dock and to top it off we need to back in. So after a great day of sailing a fog of dread covers us each time we head back to the dock. Especially is the breeze is coming out of the south and blowing across our port side – pushing us off the dock.

So here’s my dilemma: Running with the up rudder when I turn to port the rudder linkage hits the side of the rudder well and stops the engine from turning more then maybe 20 degrees. Turning to starboard the linkage also hit the side of the well but not until much further allowing the engine to turn about 45 degrees. The way we back into the dock requires a fairly sharp turn to port.

I attached a picture. Notice the red circle – that’s where the linkage is hit the well wall.

My question is – do you think the side walls on the well are load bearing for the rudder (not sure if that is the right term) or if side walls on the well are there more the keep the water out of the gas tank compartment?

If it is not load bearing I was thinking of cutting a slot out of the well wall that would allow the linkage the pass through and provide for a better turning. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Ron

Post by Ron »

bob - having trouble typimg now - right arm is immobilized. take a look at photo below. i had to move the bolt from the outer hole to the inner one on my rudder tiller arm. geometry was wrong - and my linkage was flipping over when rudder was up. also hitting back wall of box. i also added 2 washers at the top of the shaft to tighten it up.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

Ron, First I hope what ever immobilized your arm is better and you are able to type and more importantly sail.

Looking at rudder tiller arm I think moving the linkage to the inner hole would actually make my problem worse because the linkage would then hit the side of the rudder well wall even sooner restricting the steerage even more. I keep looking at it and I think I can cut a wedge out of the well wall without affecting the integrity of the wall – it seems the side wall is more to keep the water out of the compartment than structural support for the rudder.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Bob -

Could you post a picture taken with the rudder down, from about the same angle as mine above. I'd like to see how the geometry of your installation differs from mine (and several other boats I've seen). I don't think Tony has changed much down there between our 2 hull numbers.

It's a badly torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. About 9 more months until full recovery, and hopefully 5 or so till I can take any sailboat out.
Ron Marcuse
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

Ron, here's a couple of pictures of the rubber linkage with the rudder down. Let me tell you it is tough enough to get the rudder up with the boat in the water. Out of the water it is a herculean effort. I've got to figure out a way to make that easier.

Ron

Post by Ron »

Bob -

Doesn't look like any changes to the linkage or its geometry within the rudder / fuel locker. But the locker itself looks different - especially the back wall. Notice that you seem to have an extra piece of glass while mine appears to be molded in (with a lip going around the two sides and back wall). Where is the linkage hitting the fiberglass? My problem was mainly that the swivel rod between the short rudder tiller and the quadrant was flipping over because of the angles when the rudder was near horizontal, with some minor rubbing on the back wall as well. You can see a few rubs there. By moving the link to the inner hole both problems went away.

Doesn't show in the picture, but I also added 2 or 3 stainless washers and a soft felt washer to the top of the shaft holding the quadrant down. It had a tendency to lift a drop at certain rudder and tiller angles - changing the angles slightly. The felt keeps it from rattling. The felt washer is sandwiched between the steel ones and they are snug - not overly tight. A cotter pin keeps the top washer in place.

If the linkage is hitting the back wall, wouldn't the inner hole move it further away from the wall? If some of the bolt is sticking out, I'd also put the bolt in from the back, so the nut and excess threads are facing forward.
Ron Marcuse
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

Ron, I’m not having any problems with the rudder down. It’s when I have to pull the rudder up to back into the dock that the linkage / arm hits side wall of the well. I've attached a picture. Notice the red circle – that’s where the linkage is hitting the wall. The further I need to bring up the rudder the sooner the linkage hits the wall restricting the turn. If that side well wall is not load bearing I was thinking of cutting a pie shaped slot out of the well wall that would allow the linkage the pass through and provide for a better turning.
Graham

Post by Graham »

What size were you thinking of making the cutout? If it is only going to be a circular cutout of say a 1" Radius then it wouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't cut down to the base. Just remember this isn't solving the problem as to why it is hitting the fiberglass on your boat, when it seems like other Telstars don't have the same problem. Are there any telstars in your area that you can physically inspect? Did you buy the boat new or used? If used, did the previous owner work on the rudder and leave something off? I believe you are in Annapolis? If so, can you inspect Tony's boat at the shop? Also can you post a photo of the rudder up and hitting the fiberglass? Thanks Graham
Ron

Post by Ron »

Just curious - are most of the boats using the outer or inner holes on the rudder tiller arm? Mine was outer, Tony told me to switch it to the inner about 2 years ago when I noticed the linkage was scraping the back wall of the rudder compartment when the rudder was raised up all of the way. The linkage was flopping over as well.

If you do cut or grind some of the well's wall off, I'd use something like a dremel tool to make it a round and smooth cut. Don't notch it, and don't go deeper than you have to.
Ron Marcuse
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

Graham, I am the first owner of @Last. I do live in the Annapolis area so I will try to get down to Performance to see if I can get a look at another boat or two.
I’m not sure that others would not have the same problem. Maybe you could try it on your boat. Pull to rudder all the way UP and see how far your engine turns to the left and right.

Here's a picture of the rudder well with rudder up and tiller to starboard: