Engine pod lifting system

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello,

I do not see any topics or issues with the engine pod lifting system.
Does anyone have a picture of the lifting system?
It seem so heavy to lift the pod on my boat that I wonder if the block system is correctly installed.
I have a 20HP engine and you need to be a weight lifter to lift it!
With a 50HP it must be impossible or you only use the engine lift itself?
Can anyone comment ??
Many thanks
Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

Some others have made some changes as well, but my choice was to eliminate the stanchion mounted cleat and install a block on the stanchion and a Spinlock clutch on the coaming. See photos. I was more concerned with raising / lowering the platform while remaining in the cockpit. I think it's easier to raise it up as well (based on your angle of pull). With the 50 I probably would have increased the purchase by using 2 different blocks with another sheeve in each.

The spinlock was a compromise - a lever arm clutch like our Lewmars will not fit there (lever hits the seat). It works well as long as you push the assembly all of the way down.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Instead of using a cleat or clutch, I went with a 6:1 block and tackle with an integrated cam cleat setup. This allows me to remove the stanchion cleat and keeps the installation nice and neat.
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Dan & Ron

Thank you for reply,
Yes, I thought something like that must been done.
Will install a 6:1 system. I guess with a 50HP, the head of the engine tilt further forward in the pod and reduce the weight on the end of the pod and load on the lift system.

I also discovered some damages on the pivot axle( outboard side) (fiberglass hole enlarged quite a bit, so the pod been off alignment must have also increased the friction in the stainless steel guiding system. Repairs works in progress.

Thanks again

Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan has the 50 hp Honda and that's why his 6 to 1 purchase is a good ideal. The motor weighs about 100 pounds more. I can easily handle my 20 with the 4 to 1. I probably would have used a double block with a cam cleat also, but I had an extra Spinlock clutch lying around already.
Ron Marcuse
agprice22

Re: Engine pod lifting system

Post by agprice22 »

Can someone post a picture of the pod lift, especially how the motor end of the pod is connected to the boat? My pod attachment has been modified, overbuilt, and is now static. As a result, it rides in the water often, and it catches water and creates a spray as well as drag.

I am imagining a pole of some sort on the side of the boat that the pod slides on as it is lifted with blocks.

Thanks!
Ron

Post by Ron »

These two should do it. I used a spinlock because the Lewmar handle would not fit under the seat, and I had an extra one already.
P3110002.JPG
P3110002.JPG (322.2 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
P3110001.JPG
P3110001.JPG (377.81 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Ron Marcuse
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ron wrote:These two should do it. I used a spinlock because the Lewmar handle would not fit under the seat, and I had an extra one already.
Could you show how the blocks attach to the pod? Also, how does/did a winch handle come into play? Is the spinlock a turning block or clutch? I do not see clutch handles. Where are the lines headed as they go up the stern gunwale? How do they attach inside the stern?

Thanks.
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ron wrote:These two should do it. I used a spinlock because the Lewmar handle would not fit under the seat, and I had an extra one already.
Ok. So the spinlock is a clutch. And the lewmar clutch handle is longer, so you used the spinlock. Is the side of the pod connected to the hull? Or do you rely entirely on the axle to support the pod? Also, do you haul the line yourself; thus, the fiddle block system? What if you led the line to your primary winch, or placed a small winch on the gunwale above the pod?
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

The block and tackle is used to lift the pod/engine. The spinlock helps to keep the line in place until you can cleat it off with the cleat under the port rear seat. I have included a couple of pictures to see if it helps.

gary g.
Attachments
IMG_0284.jpg 2.jpg
IMG_0284.jpg 2.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
IMG_0278.jpg 2.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg 2.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 2560 times