Engine pod lifting system

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
agprice22

Re: Engine pod lifting system

Post by agprice22 »

ggreen wrote:The block and tackle is used to lift the pod/engine. The spinlock helps to keep the line in place until you can cleat it off with the cleat under the port rear seat. I have included a couple of pictures to see if it helps.

gary g.
Thanks!
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

We decided to go with a linear actuator to lift our pod with a 9.9 Mercury. We tried a 4:1 fiddle system, but it would require the winch to pull it. Rather than go with a 6:1 system, I decided to try a 150 lb, 8 inch travel, linear actuator. I installed a rocker switch under the port cockpit seat. I mounted a piece of 1/4” G10 board on the inside of the pod and attached a strong shackle eye there. I created a length of 1\4” stainless rope with swageless fittings on the end to connect between the actuator and the shackle eye in the pod. I hung the actuator off the tang on the stern pulpit.
So far, it works great! However, we have only had it on the water a few days.

Additionally, I removed the steering arm to the outboard and installed a linear actuator there as well. For that one, I used a 35 lb, 8 inch travel, linear actuator. The lighter capacity allows it to move much faster, so much that it moves as fast as I would turn the tiller. I created a small mount on top of the pod just forward of the motor to mount the actuator. I also use a rocker switch. It does add the complication of using the switch and tiller together, but I only need it when maneuvering out of my slip, which is very tight. So far, 2 trips in and out, it has worked well as designed. I will post some videos online and insert a link.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York
escape

Post by escape »

Looking forward to your video!
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Agprice wrote:We decided to go with a linear actuator to lift our pod with a 9.9 Mercury. We tried a 4:1 fiddle system, but it would require the winch to pull it. Rather than go with a 6:1 system, I decided to try a 150 lb, 8 inch travel, linear actuator. I installed a rocker switch under the port cockpit seat. I mounted a piece of 1/4” G10 board on the inside of the pod and attached a strong shackle eye there. I created a length of 1\4” stainless rope with swageless fittings on the end to connect between the actuator and the shackle eye in the pod. I hung the actuator off the tang on the stern pulpit.
So far, it works great! However, we have only had it on the water a few days.

Additionally, I removed the steering arm to the outboard and installed a linear actuator there as well. For that one, I used a 35 lb, 8 inch travel, linear actuator. The lighter capacity allows it to move much faster, so much that it moves as fast as I would turn the tiller. I created a small mount on top of the pod just forward of the motor to mount the actuator. I also use a rocker switch. It does add the complication of using the switch and tiller together, but I only need it when maneuvering out of my slip, which is very tight. So far, 2 trips in and out, it has worked well as designed. I will post some videos online and insert a link.

Thanks,
Andrew
Sounds like a great idea! I had looked into this at one point and came up with this actuator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-8-3 ... 1438.l2649
How does it compare to what you are using? After using the current system I wasn't sure if it was worth the conversion, but it sure would be much easier on your back.
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

The linear actuator for the motor pod lift is great! I got one to lift 135 lbs with an 8” throw. I bolted the motor end to the stern pulpit and made a cable with an eye terminator at one end and a fork end at the other using Hayn compression type fittings. I then epoxied a 4” square piece of 1/4” thick G10 fiberglass board to the inside of the motor pod near the motor. I then attached a strap eye to the G10 board. I attached the eye end of lifting cable to the actuator and the fork end to the strap eye. It works great! I mounted a 15amp rocker switch under the port cockpit settee.
I would be happy to provide photos.
I think these are the correct numbers even though they differ from the first answer! I will check.

Edit: the actuator throw is 8”, and the G10 board is 1/4” thick.

Thanks, Andrew
Last edited by Agprice on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

Cruissser wrote: Sounds like a great idea! I had looked into this at one point and came up with this actuator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-8-3 ... 1438.l2649
How does it compare to what you are using? After using the current system I wasn't sure if it was worth the conversion, but it sure would be much easier on your back.
That linear actuator looks fine. I hung mine from the corner of the stern pulpit right where it turns toward the swim step. I zip-tied the wire to the pulpit and ran it down to the gunwale. I drilled a hole in the gunwale, slid a piece of heat shrink over the section and gently shrank it to create some chafe guard. I then butt jointed the wires to wires connected to the rocker switch. The switch is interesting to wire!
The actuator will be sllooowww... about 3 seconds to go an inch! But you will not be in a hurry to raise or lower the pod, so it works.
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

Here is a link to a YouTube video of the linear actuator:

https://youtu.be/WtCcpg7ouY0

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

Just found this post again ......Wow, Thanks Andrew, what a geat design. It looks fast enough to do the job and a lot easier on the back! How do you think it will hold up in salt water?
Agprice

Post by Agprice »

The actuators sold at Progressive Automations have an IP 54 rating for the mini actuators and an IP 66 rating for the model PA-04 . Both should do fine in rain and splashing water. I would be sure to rinse it regularly with fresh water, dry it, and cycle it once to dry the shaft. Progressive Automations sells a nice variety of light to heavy duty actuators, mounting brackets, switches, controls, etc. It was not too expensive to rig, so I do not mind if it is really just an experiement. We shall see how long it lasts! It sure is easier then the block and tackle.

Truly, I would like to rig a servo to steer the motor automatically with the tiller, but I think the size of the servo would be large, and that would make it very expensive! As an intermediate solution, I use the rocker switch. I am going to move the switch from under the settee to a removable mount right on the tiller! I will mount a plug on the transom wall and use a coiled cord while velcro-taping the switch to the side of the tiller. Then I can push the top of the rocker when I push the tiller and push the bottom of the rocker when I pull the tiller. I will then remove the switch and cord when I am sailing.

Take care out there!

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew
“Firefly”
Telstar 28
Hull 304
Upstate New York