Honda 50 propeller needed

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Gene

Re: Honda 50 propeller needed

Post by Gene »

I understand what you're saying Ron... and I think what I'm suggesting is within those parameters. Unless the motor is already at MAX rpm's, if you reduce the pitch, you increase the rpm's, all things else remaining consistent. YES? To go to the extreme, take off the prop entirely, and the engine will rev to its max. NO, I'm not suggesting that, just reduce the load & increase the rev's, right?
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

"just reduce the load & increase the rev's, right?"

Yes. But you've got to figure out which combination of pitch, diameter and number of blades work best on YOUR boat. I would think that the pitch should probably be in the 8.5 to 10 range. The 20 hp Honda came with a 4 blade 10 pitch which did not work that well on a 4500 pound trimaran. That combination is better suited to a much lighter power boat that can do 20 knots or more. You should be able to get the motor up into the max horsepower band at full throttle. Figure about 90 percent of redline?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Gene

Post by Gene »

Mine 50 came with a 10 pitch. I'd like to try a 4 blade 8 pitch... Michigan Wheel makes the only one I'm familiar with? From what I've read, it seems like a 4 blade works better with 1 pitch less than an "ideal 3 blade." I don't have a tach so the best I can do is guesstimates based primarily on speed & "sound." I've never really had an issue with it as some have anyway, both speed & mpg have always seemed satisfactory. That said, without a true need for the 50's speed I'd now opt for the 20 instead. I recently learned of one advantage of the 50 though... I understand Dan Kim "lost" his 20 after the last storm in New England. The 20 is, after all, much easier to steal!
Michigan Wheel Vortex XHS #992401 Aluminum Boat Propeller
Honda 50 HP Outboard 1995 & Newer BF 50/50A HP
Plash Island, AL
USA