Honda 20hp Carburetor overhaul

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I had to have the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt the other day. Motor was barely running for about 2 weeks and was getting worse, especially at anything close to idle speed. It stalled a number of times. The cause seemed to be the gasoline, which turned out to be the correct diagnosis after he removed the carburetor and took it apart. The metering rods and jets were just about totally clogged up. I had installed a small 10 micron Racor water separating gasoline filter between the tank and motor when the boat was brand new, so I have no idea how anything got passed it or the Honda gasoline filter in the motor itself. I had also been buying non-ethanol gasoline whenever I could (probably half the time), and the boat has never sat for more than about 3 weeks. The motor has approximately 120 hours on it now - nearly all of which were 5 to 15 minute trips to get into or out of my marina in NJ and canal in FL, respectively. Not bad - I must have sailed the boat 150 times in the past 27 months.

As a result of this I just bought a filtered water separating funnel to use when I transfer gasoline from either of the two 6 gallon tanks I bring to the gas stations to the gas tank(s) on the boat. Also stopped using the 6 gallon Honda tank that I bought 18 months ago in favor of two 3 gallon Honda gas tanks. Had a spare tank from a previous boat. I figure each small tank, when rotated, will get emptied twice as fast as the 6 gallon and I'll wind up with fresher fuel. Also thinking about getting a larger Racor filter to replace the small one, but not sure if that will really accomplish anything. The one I'm using now is designed for outboards up to 50 HP. I will also drain the carburetor if I ever intend to leave the boat for more than about 1 month. There's a drain screw on the bottom of the carburetor which send the gasoline out of one of the ports on the lower engine cover.

I hope all of you have complained to your senators and congressmen about stopping the EPA from allowing the Ethanol lobby from pushing 15% or higher ethanol fuel down our throats. We'll all be rebuilding carburetors and injectors every month and replacing O-rings if they do it. Their stated goal is 85% for everyone and everything. God help us all if they get it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Post by trashpad »

My Honda started to get the same symptons. I poured all the gas from the tanks into my Jeep, emptied the fuel line, filled one 3 gal tank with fresh (non-Ethanol) gas with an additive. Then I changed the filter and plugs on the Honda. After all that it still took about half a tank to clear everything out and idle smooth.
Ron

Post by Ron »

trashpad wrote:After all that it still took about half a tank to clear everything out and idle smooth.
Tried that first. Slight improvement for 2 or 3 days then it went downhill again. The metering rods and jets were just about plugged up. I watched the guy take it apart and clean it out. Not that bad of a job - I'll do it myself next time. Since I'm filtering the gas 3 times before it gets to the carburetor and removing it if it's over a month old (mixes well with the Avalanche's 36 gallon tank), maybe there won't be a next time?
Ron Marcuse
drsm

Post by drsm »

I realize I'm reactivating an old thread, but has anyone used any fuel additives to try to help clean the engine components? My engine is just now having issues at an idle, and I'm contemplating throwing something in the fuel (if there is something) to forestall issues.

Thanks,

Steve
rorr1203

Post by rorr1203 »

Per Ron's recommendation one of the first things I added to my boat was a Racor gas filter / water separator.

Here's an earlier post from Ron on the subject with parts numbers for the filter. http://www.telstarowners.org/cms/viewto ... lter#p1540

I change the filter twice an year.

I also actively try not to use gas that's over 2 weeks old. I have to 3 gallons tanks. If I don't use the gas in a tank within 2 weeks, which I rarely do, I swap the tank out for fresh gas. I add the old gas to the gas tank in my SUV.
drsm

Post by drsm »

Thanks! I'm thinking the filter might be a good idea. I ended up putting in new fuel plus the STA-BIL. The engine started, but ran rough, so I got it into gear as quickly as I could and headed out. Motored around for about two hours, occasionally running it up to full throttle for a while. It purred like a kitten when I put it into idle once back on the mooring. Took her out again this past weekend and everything worked well.

Steve
Ron

Post by Ron »

Regardless of any stabilizers or anything else you put into the tank, I wouldn't keep that 10% ethanol gas for more than a month or so. Pour the remainder into one of your cars and start over. Better still, find a local gas station that sells non-ethanol gasoline - point your browser to http://pure-gas.org/. And do NOT use the new 15% ethanol in any small gas engine.
Ron Marcuse