Vibration with motor (20HP)

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
drsm

Post by drsm »

We've been having a great time with our new boat and are learning a lot. One issue I haven't been able to chase down or resolve is a loud vibration when we run the motor. The motor itself seems quiet enough, but there is a loud vibration that seems to come from the mount. I have yet to feel anything vibrating. Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve
Ron

Post by Ron »

Steve -

It's probably the linkage in the rudder and engine steering arms that are causing this noise or vibration. These bolts / nuts are not meant to be tight and the washers under the nuts tend to vibrate a drop when running under power. Try adding a felt or rubber washer to quiet it down a drop. It did wonders on mine.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
drsm

Post by drsm »

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that the next time I'm on the boat. You don't happen to remember the sizes of washers do you (my boat is an hour away)?

Steve
Ron

Post by Ron »

The one making most of the noise is probably the steel pin holding the L bracket that serves as the rudder quadrant (in the rudder box). it's a 1 inch shaft with a few washers on top and a cotter pin on top as a safety. The shaft holding the tiller is also 1 inch. These washers tend to vibrate and that causes much of the noise.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"