Rudder lines

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Tri-Cuzin

Rudder lines

Post by Tri-Cuzin »

Can anyone explain the double down lines for the rudder? I don’t see it depicted in the owners manual diagram.
Thanks Chris
PNW Telstar

Re: Rudder lines

Post by PNW Telstar »

I don't have a diagram and am not 100% sure of the line routing, but the idea is that the double lines on the cam which holds the rudder down (to sail) will allow slippage to enable the rudder to kick up in the event of grounding
Tri-Cuzin

Post by Tri-Cuzin »

I read that in the manual but it doesn't show how to rig the double line for down. Hopefully someone has a pic or description.
Tri-Cuzin

Post by Tri-Cuzin »

I read that in the manual but it doesn't show how to rig the double line for down. Hopefully someone has a pic or description.
Cruissser

Post by Cruissser »

I have seen a pic showing the system, but now sure where I saw it. I will look thru my papers. If you PM me your email I will send you the pic if I find it, not sure how to give you one otherwise.

it uses a very small pulley underneath to double the line. its spring loaded and a bugger to get the line thru. You have to use the right size, I think its 5/16". Mine originally had 3/8" and once I put the right line on it worked great.

On the bright side I could do some very difficult Yoga positions after I was done......
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Hi Chris,

Trying to post a picture from my owners manual, it is a bit more detailed than the one that came with the boat, guess one of the last versions. Here goes:
Lines.jpg
Lines.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Hope this helps,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Tri-Cuzin

Post by Tri-Cuzin »

I believe it must mean to run a double line for the down rudder as if it were one line. I think 😄
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Chris,

Our boat is in storage now, but I did replace the rudder down line couple of years ago. Don't recall the details, but it was clearly a single one. The new single one works OK, need to lubricate the guide block and replace the bungee. To be clear, I am talking about "Down Rudder Line" as shown in my previous post picture, not the "Down Control Line". Which of the two are you concerned with?

Merry Christmas!
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Tri-Cuzin

Post by Tri-Cuzin »

Alex, thanks. See my answer in this thread.